up to 4,5/5 hours
min 14 years
RIDING TO THE FAIRIES’ SPRING
- When: 8:00AM every day (we can be flexible, so ask!)
- Price: 485 kuna (65 euro) per person with food tasting, 600 kuna (80 euro) with food tasting and lunch – lunch only available for groups of 4 persons and more
- Duration: 4.5/5 hours
- Distance: 12 km
- Price includes: bicycle, helmet, guide, food tasting or food tasting and lunch
- Min: 2 pax
- What to bring: comfortable sport shoes, breathable clothes, hat and sunscreen, water, snacks, little backpack, lightweight and breathable rain jacket (in case of rain and wind)
- Tour type: mountain biking, walking, youth and family, nature & wildlife, cultural, agriculture
- Terrain: the road is combination of asphalt and gravel with some steady (but not steep) sections of both ascent and descent, (gravel parts can be walked if found hard).
- Activity level: moderate
- Riding less taken roads
- Tasting delicious homemade products
- Discovering Kocje natural reserve
- Finding out about local history and ways
Korcula is a gorgeous and fortified town on the east side of the island, populated for millennia before Greeks’ arrival. Later times saw the city built in the shape of a fishbone to serve as natural air conditioning, regulating the wind flow, while its walls would protect it not just from possible attack but also stormy and cold winds in winter. Furthermore, Korcula is considered to be the birth place of the famous Italian traveller Marco Polo.
We start our ride from the town to get to the village of Zrnovo – one of the oldest settlements on the island. Its inhabitants gravitate to Korcula but nevertheless are well into wine and olive oil making, agriculture and stone-masonry. The churches of this little village spread on a relatively large area are also a particularity, coming from different visions and architectural styles. Here in Zrnovo we will make our first stop only to enjoy the most autochthonous and carefully home-made jams, olive oil and grappas in an original, old stone house setting.
Having satisfied our palates it is time to hop on our bikes onto a gravel road that leads us to a little, both unique and magical place, known as Kocje. It is a labyrinth of strangely shaped dolomite rocks overgrown with ivy, surrounded by holm oak, fern…flora is interwoven in a most delicate way with cave-like spaces between the rocks, dressed in moss, seemingly hiding some primordial secrets. Although this protected area is by no means huge, it comes natural to spend some time exploring its green corridors, aromatic herbs or looking for the “Fairies’ spring“.
On the way back from Kocje we pass through Zrnovo again, but this time we choose a different route to widen our perspective of this beautiful part of the island and finally get back to Korcula.